M4 Junction 16 - Overnight resurfacing
The site team was alerted to a fault with the temporary traffic signals at junction 16 overnight on Monday, 2 April. Although specialist engineers attended site at the time, they were unable to fix the problem immediately and the signals were up and running again at approximately 2.00 pm on Tuesday, 3 April. Thank you for your patience during this time.
There is currently a team on site installing sign bases and street lighting columns. Ducting is being installed across the roundabout, which will be used for street lighting and traffic light cables. Siemens have started to install the new traffic light heads, although these will not be used until at least mid-April, as the loops and cabling for the new traffic light system are not completed yet. The team is also preparing the traffic islands for surfacing, which means they are filling the base of the islands with stone, allowing the tarmac to be laid on top.
Last week the team completed the majority of the kerbing and all the drainage work.
Several overnight shifts were lost before Easter, as the cold temperatures weren't suitable for laying new surfacing. However, as the temperatures started to pick up again before the Easter break, the surfacing works re-commenced. The upcoming closures are listed below, but it should be noted that these closures continue to be weather dependant. Where possible, Swindon Borough Council will update its social media: Twitter @SwindonNews or Facebook @SwindonBoroughCouncil, if any of the planned closures are cancelled.
Planned surfacing and lining works
Overnight works from 8.00 pm to 6.00 am, Wednesday, 21 March to Thursday, 29 March inclusive, and Tuesday, 3 and Wednesday, 4 April:
• Traffic in contraflow from Great Western Way onto the west side of the junction 16 roundabout and A3102.
• Frankland Road junction with Great Western Way will be closed and local traffic will be diverted via Frankland Road, Ramsden Road and Blagrove roundabout back to Great Western Way.
• The M4 eastbound entry slip road will be closed and traffic will be diverted across junction 16 and onto the A3102 towards Royal Wootton Bassett. At the first island, traffic will be turned around and returned back along the A3102 to join the M4 westbound. At junction 17, exit the M4 and then return eastbound on the M4.
• The M4 westbound exit slip road will be closed. Traffic will be directed to continue onto junction 17 to exit and return eastbound on the M4.
• Hay Lane will be closed and through traffic will be diverted into Swindon and back to Hay Lane via the A3102, B4006, B4289 and A4289, before joining Redpost Drive, Peglars Way, Mill Lane and Wharf Road.
Overnight works from 8.00 pm to 6.00 am, Wednesday, 4 April to Saturday, 7 April inclusive:
• Traffic in contraflow on the east side of junction 16 roundabout and temporary 3-way traffic signals will be in place to control traffic.
• The M4 westbound entry slip road will be closed and traffic will be diverted across junction 16, down Great Western Way to Blagrove roundabout and back up to junction 16 to join the M4 eastbound. Traffic will exit the M4 at junction 15 and return westbound.
• The M4 eastbound exit slip road will be closed and traffic will be diverted to junction 15 and then returned along the M4 to exit at junction 16.
• From Royal Wootton Bassett or Hay Lane to M4 eastbound slip road, traffic will be diverted down Great Western Way to the Blagrove roundabout and back up to junction 16 to join the M4.
• From Hay Lane to Great Western Way, traffic will be diverted onto the A3102 towards Royal Wootton Bassett. At the first roundabout, traffic will be returned back along the A3102 and onto junction 16.
Overnight works from 8.00 pm to 6.00 am, Monday, 9 April, Tuesday, 10 April, and Wednesday, 11 April:
• Full closure of the A3102 Swindon Road from the J16 roundabout to Spittleborough Farm entrance, for surfacing and lining work.
Overnight works from 8.00 pm to 6.00 am, Wednesday, 11 April, Thursday, 12 April, Friday, 13 April:
• Full closure of Frankland Road, and lane closures on Great Western Way leading towards the roundabout, for lining and surfacing.